The scriptures committee has been firmly of the position that the committee cannot produce or choose a Guide &Standard for inclusion in the scriptures - that is the requirement of “all the people”. Despite the request by the Lots group to the scriptures committee to have their G&S added to the scriptures, it is our position that there is/are other document(s) that cannot be discarded by mere executive action on our part, as they meet all of the requirements given for a qualified G&S. Those requirements are given here from the Lord’s words in the Answer:
- You are not excused from writing a statement of principles that I have required at your hands. (“You” is defined at the beginning of the revelation: "...I answer you on behalf of all the people, and not as to any individual."
- But I require a statement of principles to be adopted by the mutual agreement of my people, for if you cannot do so you will be unable to accomplish other works that I will require at your hands.
- Definition of "mutual agreement": As between one another, you choose to not dispute.
- When you have an agreed statement of principles, I require it to also be added as a guide and standard for my people to follow.
- Remember, there are others who know nothing, as yet, of my work now underway, and therefore the guide and standard is to bless, benefit and inform them — so I command you to be wise in word and kind in deed as you write what I require of you.
A number of covenant holders believe that other documents qualify despite the limited involvement of the assembly in their development and writing.
We as the scripture committee have no right, power, or place to assert authority to govern the people, nor do we have the right to push our interpretation of which documents meet the Lord’s criterion onto anyone. We do not intend to tell the people how they can or cannot govern themselves in the making of all their decisions as a people. As a people we need to mutually agree which document we choose to append to our scriptures without dispute.
If you believe that documents other than the Lotsters' should be considered for the G&S, or if you have a recommendation that will enable the assembly to settle the matter, we invite you to email a presentation to be posted in this blog. The guidelines for posting will be:
- One post per person/document/process. Discussion of the presentation's arguments will take place in the comments area below the post.
- If a G&S document is proposed, be sure to specifically address how the document meets all of the criteria given by the Lord.
- If a process for resolving the G&S matter is proposed, please be as detailed as possible about both the steps of the process and the rationale behind it.